Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
Haven and Hope (Dark Mercury) - John W. Hawthorne There are a lot of thoughts running through my head about this book as I'm writing this review. I do need to get one thought out up front. This book is good. When I finally got the chance to sit and read it I read it in two sittings. I became immersed in this world and the writing was superb enough to never break that immersion. Hawthorne's style is simple and clean. There's not a lot of prose but there is good storytelling and this story keeps a good pace.I met this author through an online venue that was all about creativity but not really about writing. When I had learned he had written a book I was curious and asked for a copy to read and review. It seemed right up my alley, being cyberpunk, one of my favourite genres. I would actually have to call this book cyberpunk lite. While all the elements are there I found there was little techno babble. This may be a good thing. I know a lot of people that just don't like hard core science fiction that would truly like this book. It reads a little more like a really good thriller mystery with a lot of science fiction as a base.The characters are fully fleshed and Jacob, our protagonist, is a flawed hero (aren't they all?) whom you do grow to care about. The others populating this story don't just seem like extras that the hero has to interact with, they feel like they belong in this world.I am eager to read the next in this series and hope there will be one.