Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
Jane Eyre - Michael Mason, Charlotte Brontë There will be much hand wringing and moans and whines!From me, not Jane alas, at least this is what I expected on going in. I found myself justified with this trepidation because the first half of the book was alternately tedious and annoying. Were young girls and women really so impressionable that any odd noise or light at night automatically became a ghost? I may be judging too harshly but didn't they have more real things to terrify them? Such as starvation and sickness. I think this may be why I stuck to Dickens.I've avoided reading this book for a very long time because I've never been fond of romances or purple prose. I now know where Anne Rice got her love for florid prose and for the word preternatural. I am glad I finally read it so I at least understand what people are talking about and that part of the book was enjoyable. I was pleased that the Jane was at least rebellious and managed to keep and even convey her opinions and convictions through difficult times. Then she would do an about face and become submissive and servile. I just couldn't get a feeling for the heroine and in some ways this says it all.“You have a very bad disposition” says Mrs. Reed to Jane. Oh the irony! Considering the woman almost kills her, ignores, abuses, rebuffs and then seeks to cheat her out of an inheritance. I am amazed that anyone is so self delusional. Jane turns the other cheek. I am starting to feel that this is just a Christian tract with romantic overtones that will help to sell it. By the end of the book I'm sure of it.