Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
Virtual Light - William Gibson I do love how Gibson weaves together his main character's tales from what at first seems to be quite different directions. I also love how his female leads and even his secondary females characters are strong and not damsels that muddle through until the hero (or anti-hero in some cases) arrives. They are independent and fully capable of doing what needs to be done. Sure, they get into trouble and some assistance is great but they are actively plotting their own actions and applying them.He also fully realizes worlds and populates them with people that you can distinctly picture in your head. Gibson utilizes his writing potential for the maximum effect with well detailed descriptions. He loves to use gritty language and it works amazingly well with his worlds, plots and characters.This is no Neuromancer. This a more humanist story with a lot of fun cyberpunk ideas and toys peppered in along the way. Neuromancer will always be my favourite because Gibson adeptly drew me in to both his writing and his worlds. Virtual Light continues to invite me into his space and enjoy the ride.I am still not sure why I didn't give it 5 stars but I suspect it was that there was an arc with an unrelated character that I just didn't get. While it was a nice story within a story it just didn't seem to fit.This may be a better book to introduce someone to cyberpunk as it's a lot less demanding on being steeped in technical terms and lingo.