Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
The Anubis Gates (Ace Science Fiction) - Tim Powers Cross Charles Dickens with H.G. Wells add some Clive Barker and throw in Neil Gaiman's absurd nature and I think you'll have the basis for this book. Don't forget a little Egyptian mythology and a Punch and Judy show! Not only did the author manage to make that all work he also threw some poetry and the original poets at you. One of the few times that poetry truly enhanced the tale rather then seem an awkward add on .I was pretty much swept up from the start and that's a good thing because this ride makes no stops. The action barely gives you time to catch your breath. The story is gripping and at times horrifying. It also had humorous and even gentle moments.The implementation of the time travel alone was enough to make me sit up and take notice. No gadgets required! Powers obviously spent some time doing research on his historical periods. Each is woven into the tale flawlessly. At times I felt I was reading a Penny Dreadful albeit a really good one.I don't think I've truly enjoyed something this novel in a long time.