Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
When We Were Orphans - Kazuo Ishiguro Once again Ishiguro uses his upbringing in Great Britain to portray a bit of history but this time of the British based in Shanghai during the early parts of the 20th century. His narrator being the usual flawed character who likes to look at his past through somewhat distorted lenses. Learning what Shanghai was like then was interesting and set the story off to a great start. Unfortunately by the end it had devolved into a bit of a mess. A lot of things not only didn't add up they just weren't plausible. I love good atmosphere but it seems that was all there was to this story. Not that any of his writing is really meaty but Ishiguro usually weaves a good tale of personal introspection and good verbal interactions with his well built characters. I didn't find the people as well rounded as is usual for his writings except for the main character.I may not have been captivated but I still enjoyed this book enough to recommend it to his fans but not as a first book by him.