Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection - Zoran Živković, Joan D. Vinge, Charles Vess, Haruki Murakami, Karen Joy Fowler, Bentley Little, Robin McKinley, Ellen Datlow, Kevin Brockmeier, Theodora Goss, Kathe Koja, Thomas Canty, Thomas M. Disch, Ramsey Campbell, Kelly Link, Carlton Mellick III, China Miéville, Jeff The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror I've always liked short stories. They are a great way to fit in a good read when reading time is limited or you just want a tasty morsel you can finish quickly. The whole problem with them is balance. Considering I grabbed this by mistake, thinking it was a fantasy, sci fi mix and not horror, it turned out a lot better and more balanced than a lot of anthologies I have read.That might have to do with the editors. Datlow and Whitling have done not only a fine job of selecting the authors but also which of their stories were included in this volume. While not all were my cup of tea I can say that the majority of the writers managed to convey the mood they wanted in a short amount of time. A couple of my favourites were represented such as Gaiman and Murikami but I've also discovered a few new authors that I've had on to read lists but now will now get bumped up the list a lot faster. China Mieville, Jeffrey Ford and Brian Hodge come to mind.It's odd because I've already forgotten the misses in this book and can only remember the hits.Maybe that says something about the calibre of writing.