Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
Kokoro - Sōseki Natsume, Edwin McClellan It's funny but I find myself returning to Japanese literature if I've been either feeling unsettled in my reading or life. It makes a great palate cleanser for me. This is also a return to this book. The first time I read it I was far from being in the right place to appreciate it and only read about half. On the re-read I'm finding I appreciate it much more. The change in narrative perspective really helped to balance the story. Going from an almost cold and distant recital of the Narrator's life then starting to show the Narrator's struggle with his on ethics and finally to the more heartfelt history of the Sensei's.The simplicity of his writing conveys the ideas of loss, betrayal and loneliness far better than the most flowery prose. Not that this novel is written without beauty. There is much that is gentle and serene to be found here. Also that things unsaid may do more damage than good.Death and suicide seem to figure prominently in a lot of Japanese literature and this story is no exception. Honour is so closely paralleled with them that it's a part of the culture. I still find it odd that Murakami's book http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11297.Norwegian_Wood>Norwegian_Wood dealing with it had less of an impact on me than Soseki's. I think it's because Murakami's characters lacked the depth and reasoning that Soseki's did. Soseki's Narrator and Sensei live in a world of honour whereas Murakami's characters seem to live in a world of selfish indulgence.