Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
Within a Budding Grove (In Search of Lost Time, #2) - Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright I have thought long and hard about this review and the last thing I want to do is damn this work with faint praise. So I'll make a few observations instead.Obsession continues to be the mainstay of in this volume The first half of the book is the Narrator with his obsession with Gilberte which is unremitted and Swann with being an incessant name dropper and having a place in society. Odette seems more content with her place in it for now.For a country that went through a painful revolution to equalize society it almost seems it was a failure when so many are worried about about everyone's position. Here's where I think this story really begins to shine. While the Narrator observes this going on all around him it takes a back seat to his new interest Albertine which consumes the second half of the book. He sometimes makes scathing and unflattering comments on who and what surrounds him but with a fresh and not a jaded view as many of his contemporaries. This being done with Proust's deft hand at feelings and descriptions. We never have to worry about character development with his writing. It's a natural flow.I'm anticipating more great inner visuals and passages that continue descriptive contemplation and observation as the Narrator matures, in himself, his surroundings and in his relations to others. One of my favourites being his description of Rivebelle.