Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
Heart of Darkness and the Congo Diary - Joseph Conrad For some reason this was not assigned reading when I was in school. That might be a good thing for some people but I was one of those strange kids that loved reading assignments even if it was something I would probably never pick on my own. I also find this surprising because this book is full of the symbolism that teachers and professors love to expound on but as this isn't a book report I won't even try to cite them all. I'm not sure I could anyways.Conrad is another writer whose prose commands his stories. He uses it superbly enough that it somewhat overshadows the rampant disregard for the peoples of Africa. Most modern readers while make some exception while still being bothered by it just because the vivid imagery is so well done. Chalk it up to when it was written I guess.It wasn't till the first utterance of “The horror!” that the sense of familiarity finally gelled and I realized that Apocalypse Now must have been loosely based on this. I love coming in cold. Nothing reduces the impact of a great story like knowing what's going to happen unless that's how the story is set up and the tale is the why. I'm just disappointed that there wasn't more interaction between Marlowe and Kurtz as they are both fascinating characters and what is alluded to later as occurring has been skipped over.I wouldn't call this an easy read even though it's a very small book but it really is worth the effort.Man's dual nature. The horror, indeed.