Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon
The Guermantes Way (In Search of Lost Time, #3) - Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright Now I know why I was having trouble with this book. Proust's words as per usual, drip off the page like an overflowing honey pot but that can't hide the subject matter which is social climbing and snobbery. I realize the last two books were based on this but in this volume our narrator is so obsessed with it that it often overshadows some of the beautiful writing. When I managed to push that into the background the words once again began to flow and ebb with Proust's moods and the subjects he was putting to pen. I am back to the writer I love! It also helped that I searched out and read a few articles about The Dreyfus Affair. This also led to me wanting to read more by Emile Zola, the second great writer I have been led to by reading Proust. Not including himself.I'm starting to feel like a tongue tied school girl when it comes to my praise of what I do love about Proust's books. I just can't seem to articulate things and I'm not good at pulling quotes as there are just too many. There are moments when the Narrator's comeuppance comes that are so painfully well written it made me wince but it was well deserved and I'm hoping to see more personal growth in the following volumes.Leave it to say I'm eager to finish this series but because I want to get it over with.