Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making  - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente A lot of people really need to get over their “not wanting to read Young Adult books”. Their dismissive natures are making them miss a lot of little wonders. I'm glad I've expanded my reading list to include forays into the newer YA authors as it led me to delights such as this story.Sure this one contains a lot of shall we say parallels with some classics such as The Wizard of Oz, can we say witches and shoes, and Narnia, what say you wardrobes and giant cats. But that's where any similarities pretty much end as Valente puts her own spin on what happens in Fairyland. What happens in Fairyland stays in Fairyland! No, not really and we are fortunate that it doesn't. Otherwise we would never have people and creatures that pass back and forth and allow the telling of this tale!Now to the heroine September. She's a fairly typical tween. Sometimes stubborn, sometimes selfish but with a heart that likes to land on her sleeve and burst out of her chest on occasion, figuratively of course. She proves brave and loyal to those that touch that heart and let me tell you that most of them touched mine as well. I could not help but love a character named A- through - L that is part wyvern and part library. Not to mention the Tsukumogami paper lantern that could write lullabies on it's surface. Pretty much every character in this story made you care even if it was to just resent their evilness.The settings for each stage of the journey are yummy. I love the fall season best so the Autumn Provinces are a place I'd dearly love to see. Well, even the nastier places are fun to visit as long as it's only very briefly.Oh yes I most definitely want a sequel and to read much more by Ms. Valente.