Zorena

Book Trauma

Book Review Triage

Pale Fire
Vladimir Nabokov
Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
Marcel Proust, C.K. Scott Moncrieff, Terence Kilmartin, D.J. Enright
Chronicle of the 20th Century: The Ultimate Record of Our Times
Clifton Daniel, John W. Kirshon

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke, Neil Gaiman Jonathan Strange and Mr NorrelI was grabbed from the start. “Magicians study magic , why should anyone expect more!”A gentleman could not DO magic. Fortunately Mr. Norrel teaches these gentlemen otherwise.Still, it took me a long time to read this book. I found myself visiting it between other smaller books and short stories. Not because it was bad but more due to the fact it was like a good serial, better read in instalments.I adored the footnotes. They lent to the atmosphere of reading a history book as opposed to a fantasy. Somehow this made her characters more real to me. I could really picture Norrel snottily addressing practical magicians as if the were all charlatans and Strange's pain at always being held back by Mr. Norrel. Add into the mix a true historical battle between France and England and some not so nice faery and you have a daunting but well written volume.I think I'm going to have to reread this book soon and the next time without interruptions. Susanna Clarke has managed to write a magnificent story if you're willing to take the time to read it. I'll definitely be reading. I'll definitely be reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu in the very near future.